Cooking with the sun

Our solar oven - let's get cooking!
Today is the day.  We are going to "fire up" the solar cooker!  All we do is set it out in the sun. What an ingenuis device.  Let the sun do the cooking for you.  There is a gas stove in the house, but we can't get gas bottles refilled here.  We have to take them to Juba, a whole day's drive one way! There is a charcoal pit at the back of the house we can use as well when we get charcoal, but as we have sunshine in abundance; today we will try out the solar way.  I wish I would've taken this up before -- on those hot summer days when you don't want to heat up the house -- just take your cooking outside and let the sun do the rest.
The first dish we cooked was rice -- it turned out really good.  The next day I cooked dried beans.  Unfortunately I haven't quite got the hang of reflective rays. The beans were in the cooker all day and were still a bit hard so I finished them up on the stove.  The third day I baked bread and brownies, yes very ambitious, but you have to jump into the deep end sometime!   Both turned out respectable, but improvements can be made.  All in all we are pleased with our solar cooking endeavors and as time goes on I'm sure our solar cooker will prove to be an invaluable piece of kitchen equipment.